After a long hiatus...I'm BACK!!
In my Professional Practices class we spent an entire lecture on women and getting an education and being in the workplace. This topic is one of the few instances when my inner feminist will come out. Sometimes it's hard for me to see the conflicting stereotypes when it comes to women in the church, especially at BYU. I've had friends who get frowned upon because they want to get as much education as they can. They want to go to grad school and have a career and people say things like "But don't you want to get married and have kids?". On the other hand I have friends who are getting their degrees but ultimately they want to be a mom and they have people that criticize them saying things like "well what's the point of going to grad school then?" This bugs me.
I wish that people wouldn't be so judgmental about women getting an education/working and being a mom because really it isn't any of their business. Ultimately, it is my decision (with the help of any future spouse) about whether or not I will work outside of the home and raise kids at the same time. All that I ask is that we learn to respect each individual woman's decision when it comes to working and child rearing. We don't know each person's circumstance and it is not our place to say that someone isn't raising their kids well if they work outside of the home or to say that someone is wasting their education if what they want to do is be "just a mom". Everyone is different and we ought to respect that.
* President Monson gave an excellent talk on not judging others during the General Relief Society Broadcast that I would highly recommend
Wednesday, October 6, 2010
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
You haven't updated in forever! I agree...people are way too nosy. What we also don't realize sometimes is that we were encouraged to have families through our education we were not told to not have one. This is a church that is based on personal revelation and often times we forget that peoples are different than ours.
ReplyDelete